Thursday, September 3, 2009

Tough choices and tougher sacrifices

Today marks the 4th week of hubby's unemployment...one whole month. Wow. He's finding the job market for his field is very slow. It's been very quiet in terms of responses. Neither one of us is losing hope, but each passing, quiet day is hard. We both have faith and hope that something is brewing for him, but how long it will take is an unknown. I hate unknowns with a passion; I'm too much of a control freak, so God is doing a work in me to resolve that. I've gotten a lot better over the years, but it remains a daily challenge. In this situation, I've resolved in my mind that it will take about 2 months for hubby to find a new job. Obviously, we'd love if it happens sooner, but I'm okay with that timeframe. If his unemployment goes beyond that, I will adjust, but it will be harder than it is today.



We looked at our budget with fresh eyes and believe that we can make it on what I make and his unemployment benefits, which thankfully started today. We aren't 100% sure, but we weren't 100% sure when I quit full-time work. God blessed us with more than we anticipated back then, so I'm sure He will surprise us again. That doesn't give us license to spend freely; we are still expected to be good stewards of what He provides. So some tough choices and tougher sacrifices will have to be made.

The first decision will be about health insurance. We have a good idea how much COBRA will cost, but we've also contacted an independent agent. Between the two, we should be able to find an affordable option. We also had to make some cuts in our normal spending...less on utilities, groceries, outings, gasoline and misc spending. That won't be easy either, but our dwindling bank account will dictate our actions....in other words, no relying on credit cards!! Getting deeper into debt in order to get things we want and/or put on appearances is definitely not an option. If we do have to use our savings in the future, it will be hard to build it back up again when hubby does find employment. Burdening ourselves with paying off additional debt would be unwise. The hardest part about cutting the budget is that there is no room for short-term or long-term saving. We were saving for a new car; that's on hold. We were saving for Christmas; that's on hold. We want to save more for retirement & college; that's postponed.

Beyond finances, he & I have to make decisions about the type of work he will seek and eventually accept. He currently is search for a permanent replacement of the last job...similar work, same pay. After a couple months, he plans to open himself up for contract (aka temp) work and/or a slightly lower wage. After a few more months, he's open to working in a call center. Honestly, I know he hates that kind of work so much that I'd rather see him dig ditches! :) After several more months go by, he's willing to find whatever he can, which leads to me.

I have the ability to return to work and earn a salary that will support the family. I have a college degree and had a successful career in my field for 15 years before I quit full-time work. Even now, my part-time is related to my field. I also earned more than hubby at my full-time job; quitting was a decision we made together because I wanted so badly to be at home with my babies. The modern option of me working and him at home is an option, but one that is undesirable to us. If that's what we have to do, then we'll do it. The idea of "role switching" is not what either of us want.

Adding to the complexity is that hubby and I both have the ability to start our own company, but that would require a lot more time and effort to build up. And there's no guarantee it would be a success; we may have to live off very little for a long time before the client base is large enough that it would support the family. So would that be worth it? Would it be worth the risk? Hubby has always insisted that I start my own company, and honestly, right now would be the best time to do it. Our budget is not dependent upon a full-time salary from me, so I essentially have time on my side.

Decisions, decisions, decisions....I wish I had a crystal ball! As Christians, we seek God's wisdom through prayer. That may sound odd to you, but in my personal experience, God answers those prayers. He does not expect us to reserve prayer for only the REALLY BIG problems or decisions. He wants us to seek his guidance in everything we do. So hubby & I take advantage of that. Sometimes the answers are very real, and sometimes the answers are a little vague. Sometimes we're left with doubt, but we move forward according to what seems to be the right decision. Do we still make mistakes? Absolutely! Sometimes what we perceive as an answer is really our own heart drowning out God's words; in other words, our own selfish desire is so loud in our hearts that God's words aren't even heard. And then we assume that what we feel in our gut is God's answer. It doesn't work that way, and it's even harder to fully explain. What I can say is that we trust in our decision-making abilities when we're empowered with God's wisdom and guidance.

Question: When faced with tough decisions, do you operate on gut instinct alone or do you analyze and make a decision based on the facts? If you do believe in God, do you seek His advice and then take the time to actually listen for His response? Do you feel so overwhelmed that you make no decision at all...if that's possible? And how do you feel about those decisions when you make or don't make them...peaceful, worried, doubtful?

No comments: