A lot of people know our situation, and a lot of people are praying for us. (You know who you are, and we THANK you!) But that also means a lot of people ask us how the job hunting is going or how we're doing...a lot. If you are one of those people, we love you and thank you for asking. We are grateful for those who care enough to check in to make sure we're okay. And at the same time, it's a little overwhelming to give the same answer over and over again...especially when the answer isn't as positive as I'd like it to be. So today I decided that I need a new answer to the questions.
Even though we're knee deep in reality, I don't really like to dwell on it. The first weekend of his unemployment I celebrated my 20th high school reunion with old friends & classmates. It was absolutely what I needed. I laughed and talked a lot and really enjoyed myself. I love those kinds of diversions. I try to find them anywhere I can, and it usually presents itself in moments with my family...like getting into a tickle fest with the girls. Hearing that genuine belly laugh from them makes my heart smile. Or like snickering with my hubby over something one of the girls did or said. They make us snicker a lot these days. Or when I pray... with someone or alone. It really allows me to release the emotions and puts my mind at ease. I also like to stay busy; I've got to concentrate on something other than the problems or potential problems.
I went into one of those negative places again today...all the inquiries felt like a constant reminder of what we're going through. Then God spoke to my heart. The ones asking us are genuinely concerned and are the ones who offer help and prayer. What's so wrong with that? Nothing. And then He reminded me that I look for those distractions and diversions because everything around me is a constant reminder. Two days after he lost his job, I had to run to Home Depot to pick up a new shower rod for our re-tiled shower. I started to break down in the isle. The next day, I had to buy groceries, and I started to break down in the isle. When I think that my stay-at-home days will soon be over, I break down. When I pray by myself, I break down. And when I see the worry or the discouragement on my husband's face, my heart breaks.
Constant reminders are all around me, so people asking questions shouldn't be a big deal, which is why I was in need of a new answer. I needed an answer that is authentic and honest but also expresses the fact that we have not lost hope. I needed an answer that explains how I feel but also how God covers me with His loving hand and wraps me in His comforting arms. When Dave Ramsey takes a call on his radio show, the caller almost always asks how he is doing to which he replies, "Better than I deserve." It's an absolutely perfect answer, but since he's coined it, I don't want to copy. So I needed an answer that unique to me.
And the answer is....STRESSED BUT BLESSED!
Question: When something bad happens, do you like to talk about it with everyone or do you tend to keep it under wraps? Do you ever feel like the constant reminders will "do you in" or do you feel as though you're strong enough to muscle past the problem?
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment