Many Americans under the age of 40 could be lumped into one generational label...not The Me Generation, not Generation X or Generation Y. I think we all could be labeled as The "What's Next" Generation.
With each new generation, the attention span seems to be getting shorter and shorter, and we tend to get bored easily. After we buy something new, we tend to look down the road to the next big purchase. After we reach a significant milestone, we tend to look down the road to the next significant milestone. We look around at our neighbors and are envious of what they have or are depressed about what we don't have. The impact of an outrageous news story is forgotten after a few weeks or months. The stock market crashed last year, what's going to happen this year? If our spouse or significant other ticks us off all the time, then it becomes "who's next"?
I do believe those under 40 (and even several over 40) experience that "what's next" syndrome in varying degrees. And make no mistake, I am guilty of it at times too. In fact as I'm writing this, I feel as though I'm writing to myself!
What troubles me is that we (as a society) never seem to experience contentment with our surroundings, possessions or experiences. If you don't take the time...correction, if you don't make the time to be content in your life, the "what's next" syndrome can lead to serious levels of worry, anxiety and depression. That isn't good for you, for your family or anyone else around you.
Let me be the first to encourage you to...no matter what your current circumstances...just exist in the moment. If things are pretty good for you right now, enjoy! You may experience times later on when life isn't so good, so enjoy what you've been blessed with!! And if things aren't that great for you right now, I still encourage you to just exist in this moment. Worry, anxiety and depression will do nothing to change your circumstances. In fact, maybe God wants to teach you something from this bad situation that will make you stronger later on.
My point is this. We need to consciously breed an attitude of contentment and gratitude in our children, friends. And it starts with you.
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment