Monday, September 1, 2008

Sensational Stuffed Strawberries

We hosted a brunch for out-of-town relatives this morning, and I made a couple new recipes that I love, love, love. One I'm not sharing cuz I intend to make it a "secret family recipe", but this one I don't mind sharing...especially since it's available via the Food Network website. :) This is a tasty little tidbit that's perfect for just about any occasion.

Stuffed Strawberries
8oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 c powdered sugar
1/4 t. vanilla or almond extract
1/3 c. chopped pecans
20 strawberries, washed & dried

Mix first three ingredients together with mixer for about 2-3 minutes until smooth & creamy. Cut a small portion of the strawberry top off, so that it will sit level. Place cut-side down onto platter, and cut a criss-cross into the pointy bottom of the berry. Do not cut all the way through the berry - only about 1/3 to 1/2 down. Fill a pastry bag (including tip) with cream cheese mixture. Flare the criss-cross to accept the tip and fill the hole with the cream cheese mixture. Top with pecans.

Notes: I used (and loved) almond extract. You could also substitute the pastry bag with a sandwich bag (corner cut off), but I would still recommend the use of a decorating tip. The strawberries don't always want to stay open to accept the cream cheese, but a tip will help keep the opening wide enough.

No comments: