Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sugar Free Challenge

For as long as I can remember, I've had a sweet tooth. In the last year, it's gotten a lot worse. I craved sugary treats throughout my pregnancy with Jordi and in the 6 months since her birth. You can imagine my amazement when I found out that I lost 15 pounds during the pregnancy. How did that happen?!? I've probably regained about 5 pounds since then, but not much more. Running after a 2-year old has its advantages, I guess!

For the last year, my hubby has commented on my sugar vice many, many times. I feel guilty because I would never allow my girls to consume as much sugar as I do, and now that Ray is a lot more observant, I've come to realize that I need to get this under control. Sugar itself isn't evil, but I need to re-examine my habits against my personal philosophy, which is "everything in moderation". They say that admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery, and I have a problem.

My husband - trying to prove a point - asked me the other night how I would feel if I had to give up sugary treats forever. At just his question, my body began to physically react. You see, my drug of choice is ice cream, and the thought of never having ice cream again makes my heart beat a little faster. Soooo....in order to prove a point to him and myself, the gauntlet was thrown.

My challenge: Give up sugary treats for 60 days beginning Monday, July 14th. This includes all the normal stuff like ice cream, candy, cookies, cake, pie, etc. But it also covers things like pastries or sweet stuff at breakfast too...not just desserts...and I'm not allowed to consume the sugar-free variety of afore mentioned items. My husband has graciously allowed two exemptions. I can continue to drink my favorite soda, which is Coke Zero, and I have one "free" day because my birthday is 30 days into the challenge.

My reward: I'll probably loose another 15 pounds, feel better physically, and feel better about myself for finishing. But I had to make it really pay off. Since Ray was born, I've had half a day "off" here and there to do whatever I wanted. My hubby on the other hand has had several days alone. So my primary reward will be one weekend (Sat & Sun) completely and utterly alone. I get to leave the hubby & the girls at home and take off. What I will do on that weekend is yet to be determined, but just the thought makes me giddy with anticipation.

In all seriousness though...I'm a determined individual, but you all have no idea how difficult this will be for me. I can't begin to describe it with words. We're smack dab in the middle of summer when sugary treats are plentiful. Not only will my birthday occur at the same time, but so will the Iowa State Fair. For those who have been to the Iowa State Fair, you know what I'll be missing. I'm sure with time it will get easier like any other addiction, but I'm not looking forward to it. I also know that it's necessary. There is a substantial history of diabetes in my family, so I need to do this for myself. I want to do it for my girls too. Both my hubby & I have struggled with food issues and extra weight our whole lives. Neither one of us want the girls to repeat our mistakes, and the best way to do that is to teach by example.

So three more days until I die a little inside. I'll keep ya posted!

No comments: