Sunday, July 20, 2008

I really don't get it

http://www.wptv.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=e52b5937-987a-4cf3-8356-3eb5625a99c5&rss=762

Can someone please tell me how no one knows that a 4-year old is in the vehicle? Okay, so maybe he had some kind of disorder that has left him non-verbal. I could understand that. But if we're talking about a normal 4-year old, they do not stay quiet for long. Look beyond just this story though at the countless cases in the last 5-10 years of children left in a hot car by their parents. I don't understand, and I hope I never do! I try not to be too judgemental of other parents because I've learned lessons the hard way that thankfully did no serious harm to my kid. But this is one situation that I cannot comprehend no matter how hard I try.

And what's even harder to understand is why many of these parents are never charged with a crime. At the very least, isn't this kind of thing child neglect or endangerment?! If I leave my children alone in the house...which by the way I never do...and something bad happens, you can get your booty I will be charged with a crime. But I hardly ever see parents in this situation charged. Why?! Your children should be one of your top priorities and concerns not forgotten like a set of keys. I understand being tired, groggy and forgetful. But I still don't understand how a parent "forgets" that their child is in the car. This type of death is slow, agonizing and cruel. "The parent has to live with this for the rest of their life. That's punishment enough," you say. To that I say, if our justice system doles out punishment based on how remorseful someone is after the fact, we're doomed.

No comments: