Are your children always well-behaved? Are you the perfect parent? I'd venture to say that your answer to both questions is "no", and if you answered "yes" to either one, I challenge your reality. :) Because the truth is that kids are not always well-behaved, and we as flawed human beings are not perfect. And for anyone who is not yet a parent, let me assure you: we are all in (or will be in) the same boat!
My kids are pretty great. I realize that, and I enjoy being with them...most of the time. There are those times when they're not so terrific, and I need a break. I don't apologize for that. But what I need to remember is that even in the hard times, my kids are still terrific. My sister-in-law came over for dinner a couple weeks ago, and as she left she said, "Your kids make me want to have kids." I told her to come over before naptime some day. She stopped me by saying, "I don't say that very often." (In other words, don't dismiss what I just said.) Why was I so quick to dismiss her compliment? (By the way, thanks for the compliment, Richelle!) I was reminded that even though my kids are not always (nor will they ever be) perfect, they are still the most lovable creatures in my life. As children, their job is to learn by testing their boundaries. As a parent, my job is to show them where the boundaries are. And when the boundary is crossed, which it will surely be every day, it is my job to lovingly correct them.
As a parent, I think I do a pretty good job. My kids are healthy, happy and smart. I'd love to take all the credit for that, but I can't because my husband has a lot to do with that as well as the other adults in their lives. My Heavenly Father also has a lot to do with that to because despite my best intentions, I have made some big mistakes in my short journey as a parent...and He's always there to help me. One mistake happened just the other day at the playground. I tried to help Ray up a tall ladder while holding Jordi...BIG mistake! Thankfully Ray made it up to the platform without incident, but immediately after she did, Jordi decided to do one of her famous back arches. She bent back until she was a little more than parallel to the ground. OUCH! I quickly stablized her, but not before scaring the life out of her and me. What in the world was I thinking?! In my efforts to help both girls, I was absolutely no help to either one.
I'd like to think my kids are more behaved than most and that I'm a better parent than most. But the truth is that when I am full of pride regarding myself or my children, God has a way of reminding me that He is the only perfect parent, and Jesus was the only perfect child. Perfection is a trap - all we can do is all we can do. When your kids do right, praise them! When they don't, show them love as you redirect them. When you as a parent do right, give yourself a gold star for the day. But when you don't, learn from the mistake, don't beat yourself up and move on to the next day...and the next mistake! :)
Monday, June 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment