Friday, February 16, 2007

Crockpot BBQ Beef for Sandwiches

I bought a roast the other day, used half for a regular pot roast dinner and used the rest with this recipe...adjusting the quantities, of course. It's a great addition to my collection!

3lb chuck roast
1 cup water
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 T onion, minced
15 oz tomato sauce
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c ketchup
1/4 c mustard
Dash of Worcestershire
Roast meat, along with water and bouillon until very tender or cook on low in crock pot for 8-10 hours. Shred meat w/fork after cooking and retain 1 cup of the juice from cooking. Add remaining ingredients to shredded meat. Put in crock pot and cook on low heat for 3-4 hours (or on high for 1.5-2 hours). Serve over dinner rolls.

My Notes: Before I started this dish, I didn't realize they suggested a total of about 12 hours cooking time, which I didn't have. I cooked the roast in the crockpot on high for about 4.5 hours, drained nearly all the liquid and set it aside in case I needed to mix it back in, and cooked for another two hours. Turns out I didn't need the reserve liquid. I broke the meat up before adding the remaining ingredients, and then finished shredding it at the very end. YUMMY!

No comments: