On Election Day, someone said to me, "I'm so tired of abortion being such a big factor in the elections. It's such a dead issue." Because this person is not a close friend, I tried to restrain my comments a little. I didn't want to alienate her, but I also wanted her to know that I strongly disagree with her.
My reply? "You're right, it is a dead issue. But it shouldn't be."
And why should it not be a dead issue (no pun intended, by the way)? Well let's look at Mr. Obama's first week in office. What's on his plate? An executive decision to overturn a ban on federal funds (that's money contributed by you & me, y'all) going to organizations who perform abortions in other countries.
YIPPIE!!! ALL our problems are now solved because innocent, helpless (and inconvenient) little lives will be ended across the globe...not just in our country. Don't you just feel a little better knowing that our commander-in-chief considers this a TOP PRIORITY?!
Why is abortion such an important part of the elections? Because with one swift stroke of the pen, one man can make it possible for millions of babies to disappear.
The person who made that comment to me on Election Day also said that she doesn't think abortion is right for herself but she doesn't think our government should deny another person from getting one. If you are of that same opinion, ask yourself one question.
Why would you say that abortion isn't right for your or that you would never have one? Is it because you know...deep down in the dark recesses of your heart...that it is the deliberate destruction of a baby? And if that's the case, then why is it ever okay for our government to allow someone to kill their child? That doesn't compute.
If that thought still doesn't spark a change of heart, consider this. Why is a baby referred to as a "baby" when it's wanted but referred to as a "fetus" when it's not? During both of my pregnancies, NOT ONE TIME did the ob/gyn ever refer to my unborn offspring as a fetus. Hmmmm. Could it be we're switching labels for the sake of our conscience? (Going down a different road...which sounds worse, affair or adultery? Both mean the same thing.)
If THAT still doesn't spark a change of heart, then in my never-to-be-humble opinion you seriously need to reconsider the value you place on all life.
Don't misunderstand me. I've known a few women in my lifetime who have had an abortion. I do not pass judgement on them at all. In fact, my heart hurts for them. I'm sure the process they went through to come to that decision was gut wrenching, and I'm sure they have suffered afterwards as a result. But my heart hurts even more deeply for the child who never got a chance to live.
I'm sorry, but for me abortion should never be a dead issue in the political arena. Ever.
Monday, January 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment