Thursday, October 30, 2008

My secret super hero identity

Since becoming a mother, I've worked very hard to avoid the "super mom trap". I know that I can't do it all or be everything to everyone. I should say that I realize that fact in my brain, but somewhere in the deepest recesses of my being, I still feel the pressure to be a super mom. I constantly compare myself to other moms - not in a good way. Every other mom I know seems to have it together, seems to be able to accomplish everything, and seems to have a better handle on their kids. Again in my brain, I realize this isn't reality, but there is still this negative voice that invades my thoughts every day...taunting me with things like:
  • You're not doing enough around the house.
  • You're not spending enough time with your kids.
  • You're not giving your husband enough attention.
  • You're not taking care of yourself.
  • You're not, you're not, your're not.....

I've learned to shut down that negative voice, take a deep breath and see my life in the way that God might. True, there are things that need to change. Priorities need to be reordered, and time needs to be spent more wisely. But overall, I think I'm doing an okay job as a mom, and I pat myself on the back now & again for the choices I make and actions I take every day.

The other day, I felt physicall drained, so I took a nap when the girls did. Ray woke up before me, and she came to wake me up. I didn't really want to get up, so I asked if she wanted to cuddle with me on the couch. She did, and I snuggled her in my arms. I asked if she was my "cuddle bunny". She said yes, and then she said something that I couldn't hear. I asked her, "Am I your cuddle mommy?"

To which my 2-year old replied, "No, you're super, mommy."

No comments: