Hubby & I, because of our own experience, are strong supporters of Financial Peace University, which is a 13-week class created by Dave Ramsey and dedicated to regaining control of your financial future. We began walking Dave's "baby steps" about four years ago, and we've never looked back. It hasn't turned us into money experts, but we are doing things much differently than we did before we started. Three years into the plan, we made the last payment on our consumer debt...over $50,000 worth. It was the most liberating day of our lives. Our only regret was that we weren't able to attack the mortgage, but by paying everything off, I was able to quit full-time work to be home with my children...a dream for both of us since before we were married.
We encourage anyone to take this course to regain financial peace. We know several couples who are currently attending a class. One participant shared with me today that each family in the class recorded their total consumer debt, which is any debt except their first mortgage (credit cards, student loans, second mortgages, car loans, etc.), and the class leader tallied the numbers. Among the 27 families in this one class alone, their total consumer debt is nearly 1 million dollars. That's right...1 million. And I don't think this group is unique in any way. In fact, I think they represent the average family in our region.
I am so glad that life will change for these 27 families if it hasn't happened already. FPU is similar to AA. You don't typically attend a class unless you realize there is a problem, which is only the first step. These families have a tough road ahead of them, but it will definitely be worth it. I can't wait to hear each of them scream, "I'm debt free!" on Dave Ramsey's radio show. We're rooting and praying for them!
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment