Wednesday, September 10, 2008

On a wing & a prayer

Ever since the kids arrived, our prayer life has not been good. We're not blaming them; we just haven't made the time to talk to the big guy. We want to improve because we want our girls to learn how to pray by watching us. Every night this week, we've said a prayer before dinner. Ray has seen us pray before now, so it is not a foreign concept to her. She knows the drill....fold hands, bow heads, close eyes, talk softly. Tonight, she announced that she wanted us to pray a second time, so we told her to say the prayer.

She folded her hands, bowed her head and spoke quietly...using words we didn't quite understand except "Father". After a few phrases, something made a loud noise in the kitchen. She instantly went from soft voice to loud voice and shouted, "What dat?" but then just as quickly returned to her prayer and finished..as if she heard nothing. This was one of those you-had-to-be-there moments to appreciate the humor, but it was the comic relief I needed. I'm still chuckling about it.

I'm still laughing because it reminds me of a friend who once told me that she is sometimes "ADHD" when she prays; her mind tends to wander. When Ray shouted, "What dat?!" in the middle of her prayer, I couldn't help but picture my friend doing the same kind of thing when she was 2 or 3. I'll have to ask her mom the next time we meet. Love ya, B! :)

No comments: