Monday, September 8, 2008

Holy Applesauce, Batman

A little bunny took up residence in our bushes this summer. We became suspicious after finding half eaten apples in our driveway and along the edge of the bushes. Because of this discovery, we found out the neighbor across the street has an apple tree in his front yard. Not sure why we never noticed it before; we've been here for 8 years. The previous occupant of that house died the year Ray was born, and no one has lived in it since. Recently, we've noticed a gentleman around occasionally mowing the yard or making improvements, but no one has moved in yet. I saw him at the house on Labor Day and asked permission to pick some of the apples, and he said "take all you want including in the back". He also pointed out that one of the trees in the front yard is a plum tree and told us that we could take those too.

The apples were too sour last week, but the one I tried today was just right. I thought I'd check out the other tree in the back before harvesting. To my amazment, "the" tree turned out to be FOUR trees...all covered with pinkish red yummies. The tree in the front yard looks sickly compared to these in the back.

So tonight, hubby & I took Ray apple picking. We gathered about two bushels, and about 5 times that are still on the trees. Needless to say, we'll be supplying the apple needs for a few other families as well.

I know this sounds weird, but we're so grateful that God provides for us in ways like this. It reminds us that He provides for us in a variety of little ways...not just in big mind-blowing ways. And that reminds me that He cares about every aspect of my life...not just the big stuff. We won't save a huge amount of money from this "windfall", but in this economy (where food prices keep rising), I'm GRATEFUL for every bit of savings I can find!

No comments: