I hate election year. I am the "Alex P. Keaton" of my immediate family. If you're drawing a blank, Alex was a character played by Michael J. Fox on the 80s TV show, Family Ties. He was the lone conservative member of a liberal family, and that's ME! I don't refer to myself as a Republican anymore, but I definitely slant to the conservative end of the spectrum...not just in politics but in all aspects of life. My family, on the other hand, slants toward the left. Thank God, I found a spouse who shares my political views (most of the time), friends who can have healthy debates about the issues, and extended family members who are of like mind. Don't get me wrong. I don't intentionally surround myself with people who agree with me all the time. In fact, I love having conversations with people who think differently...not because I intend to change their minds, but because I think a respectful exchange of ideas is why our country was established in the first place.
Unfortunately, too many liberals I encounter cry, "INTOLERANCE!" if I don't agree with them. Doesn't being tolerant mean that you give respect to ALL ideas not just those with which you agree? Just because I don't agree with someone doesn't mean I'm intolerant. It means I think for myself.
Monday, September 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment