Since that time, I've come to dislike a number of things about the house. For instance, I love to entertain. I like cooking. I like serving people in my home. I like the conversations, the laughter and the silliness. But I'm not thrilled with the size of my kitchen or living room, which makes entertaining difficult...not impossible but difficult. I would love a little more elbow room throughout. I would love modern features and fixtures.
But our finances cannot handle a larger home right now. Period. End of story. Apparently that's not true for some Americans in the past five years.
I'm approved for three or four times my annual income? SOLD! I can get an interest rate that allows me to afford the monthly payment for only 3 years? SOLD! I can get two loans to avoid paying extra fees? SOLD! I can purchase a super-dooper-expensive-home-that-I-can-barely-afford-with-a-tax-abatement? SOLD! Oh wait, I probably won't be able to afford the home after a few years when the interest rate goes up and/or the tax abatement expires? Ah shucks, I'll worry about that when the time comes.
DING DONG - the clock just struck midnight. And now these folks seem to have a bit of a problem. Don't worry; be happy! Here comes the government to the rescue once again. Wow, our government really loves us!!
I'm outraged that Americans can't seem to wake themselves up from this selfish kool-aid induced coma when it comes to materialism. We're manipulated into believing that because we work hard, we deserve whatever our hearts desire. We're brainwashed into believing that because we simply exist, we have a right to anything.
Do you have a right to pursue a lavish lifestyle? Absolutely! But when you get in over your head, do not expect the government (read: we, the people) to pay for your mistakes. The media wants you to believe that this "credit crunch" economy is due to the greedy corporations stickin' to da man. Let's re-evaluate, shall we? I spend way more money than I actually earn, and the blame for that lies with a greedy corporation?!?
The greedy corporations tricked Americans into shady business deals, you say? If you really believe that, then please, please, please do not enter into any legal transaction. Ever. When you sign a piece of paper that says, "I will _____". Then you better darn do whatever you promised. Sure, there are exceptions for those who fall upon uncontrollable hard times. I'm not completely without compassion, and I pray every day that we never find ourselves in that kind of predicament. What we're facing nationwide are the consequences of years and years of blatent materialism and greed...on the part of the American consumer.
And I think that I missed the boat. I should've accept the pre-approved loan for $150K and moved into a beautiful house that I couldn't really afford. Instead of facing the consequences of my decision and loosing what I didn't "own" in the first place, I could just cry "foul" and wait for Big Brother to run to my rescue. The government has definitely taught all of us a lesson though...they will always be there with a handout. That ought to scare and anger you to the core.
And now I'm left to wonder two things. First, if the government rescues those who are irresponsible, how will they reward people like me who are responsible. (Hint: they won't.) Second, I wonder if those who benefit from this "little" bailout truly appreciate the ramifications. The problem hasn't just magically disappeared. It's been spread among the rest of us. THANKS, GANG! I just love, love, love sending more money to Washington.
PS - For those of you who honestly believe the government has done a good thing because it's compassionate and charitable, I have a question for you. When is the last time you gave a significant amount of money to a charitable cause? It's not the job of the government to giveaway our tax dollars...using it's definition of compassion. It's our job to be compassionate and charitable. No one should be forced to do so. If you want to give away what God has given you, please do so! And if you do not want to, that is your right. When the government becomes charity, none of us have a choice. What about my right to be a stay-at-home mom? If the government keeps taking more and more of our money, I won't be able to afford our choice anymore. Apparently, I keep missing the boat.
No comments:
Post a Comment