Sunday, August 17, 2008

How do you eat an elephant?

"One bite at a time."

I remind myself of this old addage as I look around at my cluttered, messy home. I am overwhelmed to the point of inaction; I don't know where to begin! The truth is that I just need to begin. I'm tired of the disorganization. I tired of the waste. I'm tired of loosing things that are needed, necessary and/or valuable.

It's not easy maintaining a home with two young children, and in my old age, I've realized that perfection is not realistic. But I also know myself, and I know that I can do better than I have in the past.

I've heard that a cluttered house is a reflection of a cluttered soul, and I agree. But that doesn't mean that I should leave either in disarray. As Ray gets older, I've recognized how well she learns from imitation...and she is certainly imitating my habits! It was bad enough when I had to clean up after my own messy self, but now I've got her mess to deal with. Soon enough, Jordi will be messing it up with us too.

I've got to get this "elephant" trained once and for all. And it starts with one tiny little bite.

No comments: