I am of the opinion that entertaining a child doesn't require taking out a second mortgage. Toys are great, and a lot of great ones (both expensive and inexpensive) are on the market. My oldest, Ray, has never been much of a "toy kid" though. She's kind of like a cat. We bought a bunch of toys for her at first, but she had more fun playing with my muffin tins. Playing with toys is enjoyable for her, but she always seems to have more fun with every day objects. The idea I'm supplying today is such a simple one (and definitely not original), and this activity was a huge hit with her. She even asked to play with the beans later that evening...her version of a "thumbs up".
Beans, Beans & More Beans
Supplies: Various types of dried beans, suitable play area, various household items for moving and filling
Time: Ray played for about 45 minutes...with a little bit of interaction with me
Mess Level: Nothing a broom can't handle.
Directions: Show the child how to use the various household items to move the beans from point A to point B. Ray started with a couple bowls, a small cup and a spoon. I eventually added one of her sister's bottles, some mini bread pans and a funnel. About 20 minutes into the activity, I dug out the glue, and we pasted some on paper. She then returned to just moving the beans around.
Cool beans: Not only is this fun for the child, but it also helps her develop fine motor skills and control. She followed simple instructions too.
Mushy beans: Ray played in an area where I could watch her while I did my housework. She is not the kind of kid who puts everything in her mouth, nose or ears, so I didn't have to watch her like a hawk. If your child does like shoving things into her face, this activity should probably be a team project unless you need to run to the doctor's office anyway.
Thursday, August 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment