- The best chance for survival is linked to the strength of the home. The robin's first nest wasn't built nearly as well as her second. Because her nest is stronger this time, she and her babies were able to survive the turbulent storms.
- Parents are called to fiercely protect their children. Robins aren't as fierce as other birds, but I guarantee if they thought I meant them harm, they would protect those little ones from me no matter what. Throughout the storms, the female stayed on the nest....even when the tree was swaying so much that she probably had to hang on with her wings!
- Caring for offspring isn't just the responsibility of the mother. I'm fascinated at how the male & female robin help each other. I don't know for sure who sits on the nest...whether just the female, just the male or both...but there are always two around. Every time I see the male (assuming he's not on the nest), he has a worm in his mouth, and he visits the nest often. So from a distance, it appears as though he is caring for the female, so that she can in turn care for the babies.
- Parents are called to teach their children how to survive. When their old enough, the female and/or male will teach the babies how to fly, find food, etc. I kinda doubt that robins worry about whether their offspring are happy, self-confident or popular. And there certain things the babies will learn only on their own. The male & female will demonstrate for the babies a number of skills, but it's up to the baby to learn the actual skill itself. We as parents are called not only to teach with our words but with our actions as well.
- Sometimes, despite our best intents, life doesn't turn out like we plan...and neither do our children. I was bummed when the first robin babies died. The female and male worked hard to ensure their survival, and so did I. But they just weren't strong enough to make it. Despite our best intentions, hard word and lectures, my husband & I know our children may end up following the path we'd like them to. Besides the normal parenting tasks, all we can do is pray for them like crazy. And when something bad does happen, pray some more.
Thursday, June 26, 2008
Bird's Eye View of Parenting
I'm happy to report that our robin family survived the storms last night & this morning. After the last group of babies died, I'm seriously rooting for them. I know, I'm weird! All this bird watching has made me see a number of parallels between the robins and us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment