Lots of cleaning tests being done in this house lately!! Looking forward to trying many, many more! This week's test was an attempt to cut back on the amount of money we spend on laundry products. We spend enough on the water to wash the five tons of laundry every week. Why not try to offset some of the costs for cleaners?
And I've definitely found a replacement for dryer sheets....aluminum foil.
First, I've gotta say that I hate liquid softener. I've been burned too many times in the past by stains that I can't get out. The dryer sheet is a staple in my house, but they can be a little costly. I've tried using vinegar in the wash as recommended by some sites...especially when hanging my laundry on the line during the summer when dryer sheets aren't feasible. The vinegar recommendation worked okay, but I really wanted to try this other method before I gave up.
Crumple a few small sheets of foil into a loose ball and throw into the dryer with your clothes. It prevents static electricity and doesn't leave a residue in your lint trap. I've tried this with several loads of laundry now, and I'm in love.
The cost savings? A box of the 80-count dryer sheets I buy (generic, of course) costs about $2.80. If I'm feeling particularly stingy, I can use one dryer sheet for two loads. So best case scenario is 160 loads of laundry for the cost, which works out to approximately 2 cents per load.
Now for the aluminum foil cost breakdown. A 50 sq feet roll of generic aluminum foil (heavy duty) costs about $2.30. For my two balls of foil, I use a total of 1 square foot approximately. Here's the kicker...I was able to use those two balls for about four loads of laundry. That's 200 loads of laundry for the cost, which works out to approximately 1 cent per load.
Okay, okay...we're talking pennies here. What's the big deal? First, that's half the cost. Given the amount of laundry I do, that's a huge percentage! I don't know about you, but it's usually the small things that end up killing our budget. This is just ONE of many household cleaning options I plan to try in an effort to cut back on our spending in this area. Only time will determine how much we can save in a year, but if we can manage (at the very least) to cut our spending in this area by half, we will be saving $40/month. That's almost $500 in a year! And THAT is if we save only half...what if we save more? I don't know about you, but $500 could buy me something awfully nice!!!!
I've also tried using aluminum foil and baking soda as a silver polisher. While it works very well...not nearly as expensive or harsh on the skin...this particular cleaning option works best with flatware, platters, picture frames - things that are flat. I tried cleaning a small silver piggy bank. It worked, but it was difficult for that particular object. Definitely worth trying for yourself though!
Until next time....
Monday, February 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment