Monday, October 13, 2008

Diversity as a good thing

Lately, I've had a hard time finding reasons to love the town in which we live. When I bought this place, I just wanted an affordable home that was close to my boyfriend at the time (what was I thinking?!). Now that I have kids, the town just isn't working for me anymore. Hubby & I would love to move to another town nearby, but that's in God's hands...and probably not in the immediate future. The thing I dislike the most about this town is that I cannot find playmates for Ray. We visit the parks often, and there are never other kids for her to play with. So recently, I decided that we would make weekly trips to a nearby mall. The mall has a playarea where Ray can go crazy with other kids her age.

Our small town is located just outside a large metropolis...large for Iowa, that is. The area that we're closest to isn't considered the city's finest, but I definitely wouldn't classify it as "the hood" either. It could be classified as one of the most ethnically diverse. Sometimes that's good, and sometimes it's not. Depends on exactly where you live and your perspective.

Anyway, most of the other kids (and parents) at this playarea are of a different ethnicity. And as I watched Ray racing around with the other kids this morning, I suddenly realized the one thing I like about our current location. We don't live in an area where everything and everyone is the same. Our houses are different. Our families are different. Our skin color is different. And it's not necessarily a bad thing.

You see, I want my girls to understand that the world is bigger than the United States. I don't want them to be afraid of or confused by someone who looks different. I want my kids to think for themselves and find their own path in life. I want them to "fit in" but in a way that allows them to think, talk, act and think for themselves....not try to fit into some cookie cutter mold of what someone else thinks is acceptable.

One of the missionaries supported by our church was recently home and preached several weeks about expanding one's worldview. And what it comes down to is this. We may look different. We may not agree on everything...or anything. We may have different traditions or values. We may worship different gods or none at all. But we are ALL created in the image of and loved by God...whether we love Him or surrend to Him...or not. It doesn't matter. He loved us first and will always. That kind of love and understanding may result in what I want ultimately for my girls. I want them to see past (without effort) the color of one's skin and into their heart. And it starts in a little mall, in a little playarea with two beautiful little girls who want nothing more than to chase each other until they get dizzy.

No comments: