This post is dedicated to my aunt's companion, Mike, who suddenly passed away last Monday of heart failure. Mike was only 48.
I didn't know Mike well because they lived in another part of the state. What I did know, I liked. He was goofy, fun and had a quiet servant's heart. He was a very important part of my aunt's life and her family. To say he will be sorely missed is an understatement.
Mike's funeral was today. I was very moved listening to the stories from his family and friends. Attending the funeral of a person his age (only a decade older than me) is emotionally draining and makes me reflect on my own life. I can only imagine what my aunt is thinking & feeling. When I put myself in her shoes, I can't help but sob deeply. She asked me to sing at the funeral, and I knew that I would take one look at her and start crying. Long story short...it just so happens that I professionally recorded the song she wanted. Thank goodness because I did cry!
We're not promised a long life. We're not promised a problem-free life. We're not promised a charmed life. We're just given life, and what we do with that life is what's important. From what I knew, Mike made the most of his. I'm sure he made lots of mistakes and blunders like all of us. But I'm also sure in his heart, he tried to find ways to make amends for those mistakes.
Here's to you Mike - I certainly hope you are soaring on eagles wings.
Friday, August 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment