Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The "Happiness" Factor

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/25494632#25494632

"Recent studies show being a parent might not be exactly what you dreamed it would be." I had to laugh when I heard the intro to this story on the Today show. First...recent studies?! So those of you with kids older than 5 ay not be aware that parenthood isn't always what we expect. (Sarcastically) WOW, I wish I knew that before Ray was born!

Parents-to-be...hear me now and believe me later. Parenthood is never what you expect and/or dream. Sometimes it exceeds your expectations, and sometimes it falls short. The thing to remember (and was briefly discussed in this story) is that a child in and of itself doesn't make you happier. It's because your life takes on new purpose that makes you happier. We were designed to be servants, and it's the living for something outside yourself that generates happiness. But as a society, we're obsessed with the "happiness factor". I've watched people make really stupid and irrevocable decisions in the pursuit of their own happiness. Happiness itself shouldn't be the end all be all in our lives.


I would venture a guess that everyone, at one point in time, says to themselves...having children will make me happier...having children will give me a reason to live...having children will make me complete. I did, and I know I'm not alone. Instead of asking whether a child makes a person happier, shouldn't we ask whether the person can make the child happier. Ask not what your (future) children can do for you, but what you can do for your (future) children.

No comments: